Tiger Woods has been dominating the PGA Tour since August of 2007. All of the sports coverage on TV and on the web is saying it will be a special year. I think we all can agree. Woods looks unstoppable. I’m willing to go out on a limb and make some predictions.
In 2008, I predict Tiger Woods will:
- win 12 or more tournaments, passing both Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus on the all-time win list. Yes, I realize he only played 15 events in 2006 and 16 in 2007.
- win the Grand Slam (which would actually be 5 majors in a row)
- lower his scoring average from last year’s 67.79.
- go 2 for 2, winning the FedExCup
- break the streak for consecutive tournaments won, held by Byron Nelson with 11 in a row. Woods currently has won 4 in a row and 6 of the last 7 (his only loss was by one stroke).
Those are some pretty bold predictions, but Tiger has been unstoppable since August of 2007 and shows no signs of letting up. if anything, he’s been looking better and better in each tournament since then. After the Presidents Cup he went 2 months without touching a golf club and won the Target World Challenge with ease. I didn’t make any predictions regarding end of the year awards, because Tiger always cleans house.
Most of us agree this is going to be a big year for Woods, but will it be as good as I predict? I know I’ll be paying close attention.